The Siberian Federal District (SFD), which includes Kuzbass, Khakassia, Tuva, the Novosibirsk region and the Krasnoyarsk region, plans to boost coal production up to 375 mio t by 2030, with investments in the regional mining industry amounting up to 7 billion USD.
This program, approved by the Russian government, will be implemented in accordance with the Strategy of social and economic development of the SFD, scheduled until 2035.
The Strategy involves 9 major investment projects:
· Cheksinskoye coal deposit (Kuzbass), Kuzbassrazrezugol (KRU), with investment volume of 1.5 billion USD;
· Bogatyr open-pit mine (Novosibirsk Region), Coalstar, 3.0 bln USD;
· Beyskoye coal deposit (Khakassia), Coalstar and Russian Coal, total investment of 1.1 bln USD;
· Mining and coal washing facilities at the Elegest deposit (Tuva), Tuva Energy Industrial Corporation (TEPK), 442 mio USD;
· Coal mine and a washing plant at the Elegest deposit (Tuva), TEPK, 547 mio USD;
· Syradasayskoye coal deposit (Krasnoyarsk region), Severnaya Zvezda, 356 mio USD;
· Ulug-Khemsky coal basin (Tuva), Mezhegeyugol company;
· Reconstruction of coke batteries, EVRAZ.
In 2022, 325.5 mio t of coal was produced in SFD, with investments in the industry amounting to 135 mio USD.
Following the strategy, in 2030, a quarter of the total volume of coal produced will account for coking coal, the share of washed coal will exceed 60%, while more than 16,000 new jobs will be created.